Rowing Museum – “Mario Pucci” Shipbuilding and Rowing Documentation Center
Limite e Capraia

The museum tells the story of the birth and development of the Limite sull'Arno shipyard, for centuries the only place where boats were built at more than seventy kilometers from the coast.


Limite e Capraia, Rowing Museum – “Mario Pucci” Shipbuilding and Rowing Documentation Center

The museum

The museum utilizes the historical location of the Società Canottieri Limite (Limite Rowing Club) – established near the shipyard in 1861 – and gathers over three-hundred trophies, while the flooring and walls create a rowing-oriented environment.
After the “Olympic corridor” displaying photographs dating from 1920 to 2000 related to the Società Canottieri Limite’s achievements, the exposition space is divided into four narrative sections, dedicated to: river navigation, with models of typical vessels; working sailing vessels, like the 1922 brigantine “Florette”, which still sails; production for the Navy, including a model of a Fast Torpedo Boat and a water ambulance; and finally, the “shipyard space,” around an antique workbench displaying the tools of various types of shipwrights who worked in Limite.
Completing the exposition are panels and models showing yachts produced at the site from 1946 to the 2000s. Alongside the exhibition space is the indoor rowing pool with a reproduction of a rowing vessel for eight rowers, used for athletic training. The museum also has a video room.

Don't miss

Works by great masters, multimedia reconstructions with voices and stories from the territory and the communities it hosts, archaeological finds and historical arts and crafts: every museum in the area offers great little stories to discover.

Sciences & Technics

Trophy cup from 1946

The museum currently has over two-hundred and fifty trophy cups. The oldest cup is this 1946 trophy with a plaque stating the occasion of the award: Cup / Arno Rowers/ Provincial Regattas/ 1946. Trophies won by the Società Canottieri Limite before 1946 are currently missing; it is said that they were stolen and melted down during the passage of the front near the end of WWII, but the museum continues to look for clues to their possible whereabouts.

Sciences & Technics

“Florette” Model

A model of the Brigantine “Florette” (m.26.90), built by Cantieri Picchiotti Eng. Giulio Picchiotti. The vessel launched in January 1922 is still sailing (owner and Captain Rony Haynes).

The model displayed in the museum was created by Ivano Bettini (Bellaria – Igea Marina (RN)) – who we thank for this kind loan to the Museum. This boat was typical of the working sailboats – the Florette transported marble – built by Picchiotti in the 1920s.

Sciences & Technics

Work bench

This work bench was donated by the Pucci family and belonged to the shipwright Arturo Pucci, nicknamed Il Garfagnoli. This part of the exhibition presents the shipyard, and the work bench is the focal point around which the tools used by caulkers and shipwrights are collected. The bench allows visitors to try out various instruments, like the planer, the rasp and the wimble.

Sciences & Technics

Rowing pool

Designed in 1983, the pool was built by Limite shipbuilders and inaugurated November 23, 1985. It is one of the largest in Italy, hence the Abbagnale brothers, Giuseppe and Carmine, came to see it shortly after its inauguration.

The land

Located along the middle stretch of Tuscany’s largest river, over seventy kilometers from the sea, Limite sull’Arno was until 1600 a strategic shipbuilding site.

“Along the right bank of the Arno about 4 kilometres from Montelupo and 3 from Empoli is  the small and industrious town of Limite, which today counts 1200 inhabitants. In a rather unfortunate geographic location, although not far from train stations, the town of Limite was without any direct links for a time, and thuslanguished in poverty for years.  Limite  lacked a local industry to enliven the town and be source of income for the working class then living in hardship. From 1600 on Limite was home to the Picchiotti family, whose householder, named Filippo, had given himself to refitting the Boats of the Arno River, which was the only trade route for the town of Limite. In a few years, Filippo became a distinguished artist, as indicated by the number of boats that he restored every year.” 

This is how, at the end of the 19th century, the engineer Giulio Picchiotti described the town in one of his memoires conserved in the museum’s archive. Today, the Municipality of Capraia and Limite, which includes Limite sull’Arno, shares a small-scale manufacturing and services economy with other towns (Comuni) of the Circondario dell’Empolese Valdelsa (Empoli’s administrative district), but is still a town of ship builders, also tied to the Arno by the glorious sporting achievements of the local rowing club, Società Canottieri Limite, originally formed by shipyard workers.

  • Archaeology
  • Art
  • Memories
  • Sciences & Technics

PLAN YOUR VISIT
IN ONE OF OUR 21 MUSEUMS

find your museum

Useful information

Contacts

Mu.Re. Rowing Museum – “Mario Pucci” Shipbuilding and Rowing Documentation Center
(Museo Remiero)
Piazza Cesare Battisti, 6
50050 – Limite s/Arno, Comune di Capraia e Limite (Firenze)
tel. +39 370 352 5100
sito: www.museoremiero.it

Opening hours

Thursday and Friday
10 am – 6 pm

Saturday and Sunday
3 pm – 7 pm

Tickets

Free entry (no set fee)

News dal museo

Scopri tutte le ultime novità.

nessuna news