Civic and Diocesan Museum
Fucecchio

Founded in 1969 as a collection of artworks belonging to the city and to the Diocese of San Miniato, the museum has three sections – archeology, history and art, and nature – illustrating the history of the local area.


Fucecchio, Civic and Diocesan Museum

The museum

The Civic and Diocesan Museum of Fucecchio illustrates aspects of the nature, art and history of the local territory between the Cerbaie hills, the Fucecchio Marsh and the Valdarno from prehistoric to contemporary times.
On the ground floor is an extensive archeological section with rooms focusing on trade along the Arno river from antiquity to the Middle Ages; the birth of the city; the Cadolingi Counts; and the production of ceramics (from 1500 to the early 1800s), with films, virtual reconstructions and 3D-printed models. The first floor exhibits works by important Medieval and Tuscan Renaissance artists (Berlinghiero, Francesco di Michele, Cenni di Francesco, Lo Scheggia, Zanobi Machiavelli, Jacopo da Empoli, Raffaello Botticini, Giovanni Larciani), as well as memorabilia concerning the patriot Giuseppe Montanelli (1813-1862), a large collection of works by the painter Arturo Checchi (1886-1971), and Adolfo Lensi’s (1855-1930) ornithological collection containing three-hundred exemplars of birdlife from the Fucecchio Marsh.

Don't miss

Works by great masters, multimedia reconstructions with voices and stories from the territory and the communities it hosts, archaeological finds and historical arts and crafts: every museum in the area offers great little stories to discover.

Archaeology

A history of the Arno

The Arno valley has always been the link between Tuscany’s countryside and the Mediterranean, facilitating the birth and development of major cities and rural areas via numerous river ports. An extensive collection of examples of amphoras found by archeological researchers along the valley testifies to this long history and the modifications of trade routes between the Mediterranean and the Tuscan hinterland, from the Etruscan age to the end of the Roman age. But the river continued to serve as a trade route throughout the Middle Ages and up to contemporary times, as indicated by objects found on the 14th-century relict of Empoli and the remains of vessels and of water mill mechanisms found along the riverbanks.

Art

Masters of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance

The museum conserves remarkable works by masters of the Middle Ages and the Florentine Renaissance, including the fresco by Cenni di Francesco, discovered at the end of the 20th century, depicting an episode of Diana at the Hunt, which decorated a room in medieval Palazzo Rosselmini, the original nucleus of the building that now hosts the museum. The altarpiece by Giovanni di Ser Giovanni, known as “Lo Scheggia”, is a local transposition of the journey of three saintly brothers described in Jacopo da Varagine’s Golden Legend. The panel by Zanobi Machiavelli of the Madonna in Adoration of the Child is an example of a work created for domestic devotional use, while the monumental altarpiece of the Nativity is now known to be by Giovanni di Lorenzo Larciani, conventionally indicated as the “Master of the Kress Landscapes”.

Art

Mementos of Giuseppe Montanelli

The room contains a display of mementos that Montanelli’s widow bequeathed to the city on the day of his funeral. They sum up his efforts as a university professor, a soldier and a politician: his professor’s cloak form the Università di Pisa, his Captain’s uniform from the 2nd Company of the University Guard, and his tricolor sash.

Art

The Arturo Checchi room

Room 15 of the museum contains the collection of oil paintings, drawings and bronzes donated by the artist Arturo Checchi (Fucecchio 1886-Perugia 1971) to his hometown, as well as other works acquired more recently by the City of Fucecchio. Visitors can trace much of the evolution of Checchi’s artistic language, exemplified by milestones from his career in painting, drawing and sculpture, from the years of his education in Florence to the 1960s. The picture can be rounded out by visiting the other two nuclei of Checchi’s works in Fucecchio, at City Hall and the Fondazione Montanelli-Bassi, unmissable for those who want to know the artist’s work.

The land

Lying along the Via Francigena, Fucecchio is a land of history, art and nature, and the largest inland marsh in Italy.

The Museum, founded in 1969, was reopened in 2003 in the new Palazzo Corsini site overlooking the medieval town’s main square, Piazza Vittorio Veneto, facing the Collegiata church of San Giovanni Battista. Behind the Museo is the large public park, the city’s focal point and original core with the ruins of the early-medieval Salamarzana castle, which belonged to the Cadolingi Counts, and the 14th-century Florentine fortress.

The palazzo dates to the 14th century; under the ownership of Giovanni dei Medici, just after the middle of the 15th century, the entire complex was transformed into a farm, which then passed to the ownership of the hospital of Altopascio, and in the 17th century to the Corsini family, from whom the Municipality of Fucecchio acquired it in 1981 to be used as a cultural services site. The Museum is next to the Municipal Library, the Historical Archive and the Youth Center.

  • Archaeology
  • Art
  • Memories
  • Sciences & Technics

PLAN YOUR VISIT
IN ONE OF OUR 21 MUSEUMS

find your museum

Useful information

Contacts

Civic and Diocesan Museum
(Museo Civico e Diocesano)
Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 27
50054 – Fucecchio (Firenze)
tel. +39 0571 268262
sito: www.museofucecchio.it
e-mail: museocivico@comune.fucecchio.fi.it

Opening hours

Tuesday to Friday
10 am – 1 pm

Saturday and Sunday
4 pm – 7 pm 

The Museum is closed on Christmas day, January 1st and August 15th

Tickets

Individual ticket
Regular: 3.00 €
(Torre di Mezzo visit included)

Reduced: 1.50 €

News dal museo

Scopri tutte le ultime novità.

nessuna news